Marco Bodt – Attack on Titan
July 2013

Process and Materials Included:

  • Foamboard propmaking
  • Latex prosthetics
  • Theatrical makeup application

For this cosplay, I wanted to recreate the iconic death of the character within the Attack on Titan series. I decided to focus on creating a zombie-like facial appliance to replace the half of his face which was missing, as well as do a similar treatment to the arm on the same side of his body.

The wearable 3D-Maneuver Gear equipment, which is unique to the series, was created with foamboard to make it lightweight but durable, and featured removable swords and storage space inside the box. The boxes attach to the costume via the belt straps.

Marco’s facial and arm prosthetics were the defining features of this particular cosplay. To create the facial appliance, I laid down a layer of latex over a facial mold and began building up the shape with a mix of scar putty, tissue paper, latex, and paint. To create the false teeth embedded in the tissue, I used fake nails and cut them to the appropriate lengths before gluing them into place. I created a layer of latex and thickened it up with tissue paper, ripped the edges, and then applied it around the edge of the base facial appliance to make the skin around the outside look ripped.

To create the arm prosthetic, I started by making a cast of my arm using newspaper wrapped in tape and plastic wrap. Once it was the same shape and size as my forearm, I slipped nude-colored stockings overtop and began painting it with latex. Once it was built up enough, I applied the same techniques to make the sleeve appear bloodied and ripped. The sleeve was able to be slipped on and off my arm to give the makeup appearance without having to spend the time to apply it each time.

The 3D-Maneuver Gear equipment was created from multiple sheets of varying thicknesses of foamboard. The flat pieces were cut to shape and glued together. The tubes on the top were created with poster tubes, cut-off water bottle tops, and PVC connecting pieces. The tapered water bottle pieces were glued to the lids of the poster tube, which allowed me to pull them off and use the inside of the tubes for storage (ideal for posters bought at the convention’s artist alley!) The lids of the 3D-Maneuver Gear boxes were attached with a hinge on the interior side, with magnets on the other side to hold the lids closed. The inside of the boxes were left hollow to allow for further storage. The boxes were then sealed, spray painted, and weathered.